1. Visit the festival website and note any beers that are rare, limited, or special editions.
2. Aim to hit the festival on the early days. Even big festivals run out of both bottled and cask beers. Also, some beers may get a little old, so going at the start means you get the best of fresh casks.
3. Arrive early, as some beers are in limited supply and may be in high demand.
4. Buy a program.
5. Buy a pint glass but only drink thirds (third of pint measures).
6. Give the beer a twirl in the glass and bury your face into the glass for a good long sniff.
7. Let your brain chew over the different aromas gathered in the glass.
8. Put lips to the glass and fill your head by breathing in deeply through nose AND mouth.
9. Hold that breath and take a big gob full. Fill your head and your soul.
10. Whoosh it for a second and swallow.
11. Don't slurp and whistle in reverse etc (people WILL giggle. Even at a beer festival.)
12. No matter how much you enjoyed the beer, make a note of your thoughts and move on.
13. Mainly though, HAVE FUN. Beer is a serious art, but it is, first and foremost, FUN.
SEE YA THERE!!